Skip to main content

Healthy living with blogger Lauren Patterson

 

You may recognise her as having some of the funniest Instagram tales at ___@laurenkate with her two kids Madi and Max. We caught up with Lauren to chat about healthy living, pregnancy and life post-babies.

At the time of the interview Max was six months old and Madi was three and a half, whom which she attritubes her love of health and fitness and the overcoming of severe mental illness to her children. A personal trainer and blogger, her Instagram is your go-to for cute-as selfies with her babies and down-to-earth posts concerining the trials and tribulations of parenthood. 

 

On healthy living

Leading an active and healthy lifestyle helps to manage my anxiety and just makes me feel good. Before having my kids, I was suffering from severe mental illness and an eating disorder and I had no goals or hope for myself. Now I am spending every day working as hard as I can to give my kids the life they deserve.

On pregnancy

Your body does whatever it wants when you’re pregnant. It flattened my boobs, created lots of deep stretch marks, a saggy belly button and loose skin – but it’s all part of the process. I think of them as my little pregnancy battle scars and I love them! On the other hand, pregnancy never stopped me from being active and that made it so much easier to get back into a routine after having Max.

On post-baby bodies

After having Madi, I joined a gym and I slowly learnt to adjust to a new routine as a mum: I found myself using a couch like a piece of gym equipment and learning how to add herbs and spices to make a meal tasty.

It takes hard work and eating well to get your body back in shape after having kids – it’s by no means easy. Loving your post-baby body is all about acceptance and remembering what it has achieved – it created a human!

Day in the life of Patterson

I love to include the kids in my exercise regimen, so we tend to walk everywhere. I try to go to the gym in the mornings because it helps to boost my energy levels during the day. If I can’t get to the gym, Max will be my weights in the lounge room and I find myself doing a lot of glute kickbacks during the advertisement breaks on television.

I always start my day with breakfast: I like to have a protein shake and oats, fruit or wholegrain toast. Lunch is normally fish and rice with broccoli. I’m not overly strict with my clean eating practices and I believe in balance; if I feel like sauce with my dinner, I’m going to have sauce!

 

{nomultithumb}

 


Read more ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VIDEO: Swiss ball dumbbell chest press

Improve your upper body strength with this Swiss ball workout. WH&F Head Trainer Nikki Fogden-Moore demonstrates. Read more ...

Robyn Lawley: I don't do fad diets or fake food

Robyn Lawley is the face of Pantene , a swimware designer and cookbook author. Here, she tells us how she stays in shape. "I am an Australian size 16, which is really rare in the fashion world," Robyn says. "People don’t understand that models are so, so, so much smaller than I am. I’m trying to spread body love and body positivity because the message can get lost when people are focusing on things like weight loss stories; that’s not what I’m about." Instead of focusing on extreme diet plans , Robyn concentrates on getting fit and healthy. "I think exercise is a really great combat to depression, sadness and generally not feeling good about yourself," she says. "Fitness is where you get your endorphins and how you’re going to make yourself feel empowered. I like kickboxing, swimming and SoulCycle, which is a crazy American trend of cycling in the dark to crazy music. I’m terrible at it. I enjoy yoga as well. "I get into the trends like everyone...

How to stop yourself from overeating

  Wondering why you constantly overeat? Here are three factors that may be contributing to over-indulging.    It’s easy to over-dramatise the odd extra helping as a ‘binge’ or ‘blowout’, but if you are consistently eating more than your body needs, there may be good reasons.  The stick: Macro shortfall The human body’s drive for protein is so powerful that it will keep consuming food until its protein needs are met according to a University of Sydney study. As protein intake decreases, kilojoule intake increases, researchers reported. The fix: Consume 15 to 20 per cent of daily kilojoules from high-quality, low-fat protein sources. Lean meats, legumes, fish, eggs and tofu all qualify. The stick: Multitasking Whether it’s the portion sizes at your local, a bout of intense work stress or mindless nibbling in front of the telly, there’s a whole gamut of reasons why we eat more than what we need or when we’re not hungry at all .  The fix: Try to eat intuitively...